[mythtv-users] MythTV Issues with ATSC

Bill Suit bsuit at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 11 17:00:12 UTC 2006

(I'm a new subscriber to the list. I copied/pasted the following from the
archive list. This is from  Jarod Wilson's response.)

>>On Feb 10, 2006, at 19:18, Richard Shaw

>> Ok, several issues I'm hoping someone can help me out with. First my
> >system info...
>>
>> AMD Athlon XP 2500+
> >pcHDTV HD-3000 (for ATSC OTA HDTV)
> >MythTV 0.18 (atrpms) on FC4
> >Geforce MX4000 64MB video.
>>
>> Ok, problem #1:
>> udev does not seem to set the correct directory permissions on
>> /dev/dvb/adapter0. It sets it up with only root (or owner) having rw
>> access. Does anyone know how to change this behavior?

>That shouldn't be a problem. On FC4 w/ATrpms, mythbackend runs as
>root, so all the necessary rw permissions already exist.

If you want to change the ownership, you should be able to:
chown "to your user name" /dev/dvb/adapter0 , or possibly
chmod u+rwx /dev/dvb/adapter0 (to add user permission to read, write, execute)
If root is the current owner, you'd have to be root to use the above commands.

>> Problem #2:
> >the kernel does not load the right drivers by default. What is the
> >best
> solution to resolve this? I don't like the idea of doing modprobe -
> >r...
> >etc... Is modprobe.conf the way to go? I replaced
> > alias char-major-81 cx88-blackbird
> >with:
> >alias char-major-81 cx88-dvb
> >but that didn't seem to be enough.

>There are some modprobe.conf tweaks you can make, but what they are
>escapes me at the moment. I seem to recall there being a script from
>pchdtv.com that would do it for you.

If all you're trying to do is get modules loaded on boot, then list them in
the order you want them installed in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 (or
2.4 if you're still using a 2.4 kernel).

I can't help you with the rest as I'm just starting my own 1st mythtv build.
My own troubles are soon to follow :>),

HTH,
Bill