[mythtv-users] XvMC, Plextor Question, and Sound

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Feb 11 19:08:11 UTC 2006

On Feb 11, 2006, at 11:53 AM, Nathan Lutchansky wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 01:36:35PM -0500, Jesse Guardiani wrote:

>>> Actually, the world is going to H.264, which isn't supported in any
>>> video card yet as far as I know.
>>
>> Aren't you both right? Isn't H.264 just another name for Mpeg-4 layer
>> 10 or something?
>
> H.264 is the ITU's designator for the standard, and ISO has issued the
> same text as ISO/IEC 14496-10.  Collectively, the ISO/IEC 14496
> standards are known as MPEG4, so technically, yes, H.264 is a video
> coding format that is part of the MPEG4 standard.  However, the
> original
> video coding in the 14496 series was 14496-2, which what is most
> people
> think of as "MPEG4 video".  So I think if you tried to refer to H.
> 264 as
> "MPEG4 video" you would just end up confusing everyone.  If you still
> want to say MPEG4 though, you could call it "MPEG4 AVC" (AVC=Advanced
> Video Coding) as that was the working name of the project.  -Nathan

And let's not forget "DiVX", which might be described correctly as
mpeg-4 as well, although extremely tied up in marketing.

I really meant "mpeg4" in the generic sense of the entire 14496
family and really meaning "beyond mpeg2". I didn't want to go into
all of the permutations on the list, but clearly Nathan has a good
point that "mpeg4" to most people is 14496-2, if they are aware of
the differences at all :-)