[mythtv-users] Multiple Plextor Audio Solution ???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 12 12:30:05 UTC 2006

On Feb 11, 2006, at 11:34 PM, Nathan Lutchansky wrote:

> I didn't mean to be rude; I just wanted to make sure this isn't a
> problem with the hardware or driver that I wasn't aware of.

You are definitely *not* being rude. In fact I very much appreciate
your persistence as it seems to have cleared up a very serious mis-
conception on my part.

>> The question might be where you have dsp1 set, currently. You only
>> need it in mythtv-setup, not the frontend, AFAIK. The frontend should
>> use /dev/dsp, or 'ALSA:default' or whatever. So, since dsp1 is
>> created
>> by the plextor software driver, one might assume that a second
>> plextor
>> unit would create dsp2, which you could then specify in mythtv-setup
>> for your second card.

I'm pretty sure I already had dsp1 before I installed the Plextor,
not positive though. Might it be a part of a KDE installation? Anyway
you are correct, dsp1 is set in the card config in the backend,
while /dev/dsp is the frontend listening device.

> Sounds right to me.  Once you get up to a certain number of sound
> cards
> (either four or eight) you run into a device number limit, but up to
> four total sound cards + ConvertXes will definitely work, numbered
> /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp1, /dev/dsp2, and /dev/dsp3.
>
>> I don't think LiveTV works with the Plextors in 0.18.1. I think I
>> read
>> that this has been fixed in 0.19.
>
> When you try Live TV do you get green garbage with some moving
> stuff at
> the top?  If so, that's probably the misconfigured recording profile
> problem that everyone runs into...  -Nathan

Live TV works just fine and always has. Using 0.18.1-20050510-1 on a
Gentoo 2.6.15 system. I read that I would get the "green screen" if I
didn't set up recording profiles at 640x480, but this is not the case
as 720x480 works just fine. It also worked fine with the initial
default recording profile.