[mythtv-users] Multiple Plextor Audio Solution ???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 12 15:48:17 UTC 2006

On Feb 12, 2006, at 6:34 AM, Jesse Guardiani wrote:

> On Sunday 12 February 2006 7:30 am, Brian Wood wrote:
>
> [...]
>>>
>>> When you try Live TV do you get green garbage with some moving
>>> stuff at
>>> the top?  If so, that's probably the misconfigured recording profile
>>> problem that everyone runs into...  -Nathan
>

> Yeah, that describes it.
>

>> Live TV works just fine and always has. Using 0.18.1-20050510-1 on a
>> Gentoo 2.6.15 system. I read that I would get the "green screen" if I
>> didn't set up recording profiles at 640x480, but this is not the case
>> as 720x480 works just fine. It also worked fine with the initial
>> default recording profile.
>

> I'm running 480x480 in my profiles because that's what my PVR 350
> uses and I wanted to get a good feel for the difference in file
> size between the PVR's mpeg-2 and the ConvertX's mpeg-4 with all
> other settings the same.
>
> Is 480x480 the problem? Why? Like I said before, recordings work fine.

Your 350 will do whatever you tell it to do, up to 720x480 (NTSC).
Personally I'd go with the max resolution, you can always transcode
to mpeg4 to save space later.

How do you feel the units compare. I'm interested in the difference
as well, but I don't know how to differentiate between encoding
artifacts from the Plextor and artifacts from Myth's mpeg4 playback.

Comparing live TV from the Plextor and playback of PVR recordings
that have been transcoded to mpeg4 should eliminate the playback
factor from the equation at least partially. So far the Plextor
recordings seem marginally better, but both are quite watchable. I
need to tweak the mpeg4 transcoding parameters more to see if I can
improve them.