[mythtv-users] yum upgrade "freezes" - can't continue

Mike VanderPloeg galvin_pdx at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 12 16:46:27 UTC 2006

Hi,

The same thing happened to me while following the
guide for FC4 (at the same point too, snmp).
Unfortunately, I took the brute force approach and
re-installed.

When I got back to the point of doing the upgrade, I
first did a 'yum upgrade kernel' and a reboot.  This
will install the newest kernel.  Then I was sucessful
in using 'yum upgrade'.

The thing I don't like about yum is that it seems to
get its update packages from random servers.
Sometimes I got 500kB/s, sometimes 100kB/s.  Very
frustrating, but maybe there is a way around it.

Mike

Michael Haan wrote:

> This has happened multiple times now.  Following
Jarod's guide, I do
> fresh install of FC4 x86_64 then run "yum upgrade".
Somewhere along
> the way it "pauses".  The machine isn't frozen as I
can break out of
> the upgrade by hitting ctrl-Z.  But then, re-running
yum upgrade
> gives me something about net-snmp being needed for
net-snmp-libs.