[mythtv-users] Is this DB schema as ambiguous as it looks?

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 12 23:41:19 UTC 2006

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 06:20:54PM -0500, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
> Tables like recordedmarkup seem to identify recordings by a tuple of
> (chanid, starttime), but that seems ambiguous---if you've got more
> than one tuner, it's perfectly possible to start a recording at time
> T on channel C as a normal recording, -and- to manually schedule a
> recording that -also- starts at time T on channel C that goes for a
> different length of time.  [See PS for why.]

If you "DESC CHANNEL" in MySQL, you will see that chanid must be
unique (it is the primary key).

And you can't have two recordings start at the same time for the same
chanid; there should be a conflict. That should ensure that starttime
is unique for a given chanid.

> So now we've got two completely different files but only one way to
> refer to them in any table (like recordedmarkup) which doesn't also
> use the end time to disambiguate.  Is this likely to fatally confuse
> seeking or commflagging?  Might other things break?

The two recordings on the same chanid should have different starttime
values.

--Rob