[mythtv-users] Nasty shock with Comcast Chicago

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 13 13:20:52 UTC 2006

On Feb 13, 2006, at 5:19 AM, JDeGraw wrote:

> Here in South Bend, Indiana I have basic extended and still get all
> the
> analog channels. Must be just a Chicago rollout as you say. But
> probably
> due to happen then in South Bend also soon.
>
> Although I cannot offer any help, Im supprised you got thru to actual
> managers at the help-less desk. I find them inept at best in
> anything I
> need from them.
>
> I would go satellite but then I dont know where to get my internet
> connection from. DSL is out of range for me here. That pretty much
> leaves me with dialup only. Unless someone else knows of an answer.
> Seems every morning around 6am or so the internet goes down here
> until I
> reset my cable modem. Otherwise it just sits and resets forever.

The only option other than Cable Modem if you can't get DSL would be
DirectWay, which is a satellite-delivered internet service from
DirectTV.

Unfortunately it's apparently not a very good option. Due to speed-of-
light limitations there is a significant latency problem. If you are
just doing an ftp transfer, for example, from a single server, it's
not too bad, but if you're trying to load a web page with 10-20 DNS
lookups, the latency for each lookup adds up to significant delays.

Also, according to Consumer Reports, they have the worst customer
satisfaction record on the planet, but they *are* an option.

Of course you could always get a T1 line installed, you can usually
get them for around $800/month these days. I find it amusing that a
lot of folks are "too far away" for DSL, but somehow close enough for
even T3 service if they are willing to pay :-)