[mythtv-users] Alternatives to DataDirect?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Tue Feb 14 00:53:07 UTC 2006

> Perhaps zap2it could set up a way to distribute listings with Bit Torrent,
> if they have a problem with too many people hitting their service.

Two main issues with this:

  * The data is customized for each user.  Granted, a cool feature, but
it puts a lot of load on their CPU's to bring it up.

  * TMS is *very* protective of their IP.  They don't want anyone else
distributing the information that belongs to them.

Thirdly, from a user standpoint, users would have to poke holes in their
firewall to allow bittorrent to share.  Personally, I have enough
machines on my network that run bittorrent.  Having to custom configure
ports for each one, and open those ports in my firewall is a huge PITA.

They've talked about providing static downloads, but that just turns the
CPU issue into a bandwidth issue.  Both cost money.

-Chris