[mythtv-users] FC4 Yum update is failing

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Feb 14 11:13:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 10:02:28PM -0800, kanetse at gmail.com wrote:
> I have a box runnning Fedora Core 4 and MythTV 0.18.1, following
> Jarod's excellent guide.  It's a master backend with 2 V4L tuners that
> are working fine.  It was set up cleanly in September 2005 with kernel
> 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.  Following Jarod's guide, everything was done using
> yum and atrpms.
>
> Unwilling to disrupt a fully functional MythTV system, I have held off
> on running any package updates via yum since everything is running
> smoothly. Hoewever, as I await for the release of MythTV 0.19 on
> atrpms stable, I decided to do a "yum upgrade" today just to get the
> other (non-MythTV packages) updated.
>
> Unforunately, I'm running into a conflict; after running through all
> the dependency checks, I get:
>

> Error: Missing Dependency: /lib/modules/2.6.14-1.1653_FC4 is needed by
> package GFS-kernel
> [...]

> Any ideas?
> Thanks!

You either used rpm -e --nodeps on old kernels, or yum messed
up. Which one is it? :)

In either case install smart and use that. It can deal even with such
broken dependency situations.

yum install smart
smart update
smart fix