[mythtv-users] firewire output to TV

Todd Hutchinson tahutchinson_99 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 20:44:04 UTC 2006

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a samsung 5067W TV, and it has a firewire
input
2
>> stream output by mythtv directly to the TV via
>> firewire and use the TV's mpeg2 decoder to display
the
>> video.  I'm thinking that this will reduce the load
on
>> my CPU, and this will come in handy when I
eventually
>> upgrade my mythtv to record HD.
>>
>> Anybody know if this is a viable solution?
>
> currently not possible, probably won't ever be since
the tv expects an
> mpeg stream which would require realtime encoding
and reencoding which
> makes it more of a hassle than buying a $50 video
card with XvMC and
> possibly upgrading some other components, especially
since you'd have
> to do this to do all the realtime encoding/etc.

Perhaps I don't understand, but, aren't mythtv
recordings simply wrapped mpeg2 files (i.e., .nuv
files)? If so, it seems that it would be possible to
simply cat the mpeg2 (or nuv) file to the firewire
device and the TV should display that video.  What am
I missing?  (I admit that I haven't tried this yet,
but I will very soon)

I understand that buying a video card with XvMC is not
very expensive, but, it takes up a precious slot in a
potentially small media computer (such as the ASUS
pundit that I have).