[mythtv-users] HD-3000 and DVD device Permissions

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 15 00:13:17 UTC 2006

On Feb 14, 2006, at 2:28 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> On 2/14/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

>>> you try adding
>>> SUBSYSTEM=="dvb",       GROUP="video"
>>> to /etc/udev/permissions.rules?
>>> then just add the video group to your mythtv user. this is how it
>>> works in my Debian system.
>>
>> Well those parameters are in my /etc/udev/rules.d./50-udev.rules
>>
>> But they seem to be getting ignored.
>
> sounds like something is overriding these settings then, maybe a rule
> that runs later in your /etc/udev directory?

Well I just edited my /etc/udev/rules.d/10-pchdtv.rules file to make
the devices "video" group and that seems to have worked.

I don't know why there would be a separate permissions directory and
files, when you can do that with the rules. I'll have to look at what
the pcHDTV Makefile did to things but that's now on the "maybe
sometime" list because things are working.

>>> just reference the actual device and ignore /dev/dvd, though I've
>>> never seen them come up randomly like you describe.
>>>

>> I can't remember if it is the hdc/hdd that get reversed or just the
>> symlinks. I try not to reboot this box so I'll have to wait 'till the
>> next time they get reversed. .
>
> hdc and hdd should not get reversed since they are based on the order
> your ide devices are plugged int (hda = Channel 1 Master, hdb =
> Channel 1 Slave, hdc = Channel 2 Master, hdd = Channel 2 Slave, etc)

Granted, that should be hardwired, and the switch was almost
certainly with the symllinks, but I didn't actually check it and I
have seem stranger things happen with VIA chipsets :-)

Again, on the "sometime" list, as it's not a major problem. I got the
second DVD drive because I needed one that could handle DVD-RAM, I
suppose I should pull the original out anyway.

Much thanks for you time.