[mythtv-users] X won't start with Nvidia 8178 drivers

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 03:27:13 UTC 2006

Just did an "apt-get dist-upgrade" on my FC3 MythTV box. I have also
run nvidia-graphics-switch 8178. The kernel that was there after the
upgrade was 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3.

When the machine boots up it gets to the point where the GDM screen
would normally be displayed but then it just seems to halt and I get a
blank screen with nothing further - no GDM logon screen or anything. I
couldn't see anything obvious in Xord.0.log or messages. Does anyone
know what may be wrong?

In the meantime I've reverted to nvidia 7664 which seems to work just
fine. Is it even worth trying to get 8178 working? I know others have
had problems with it but they at least seem to get X up and running
which is more than me! Is 8178 a dud version which I should just
ignore?

Regards,
Phill