[mythtv-users] Fwd: (DJS) Only static when watching tv

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 15:07:53 UTC 2006

On 14/02/06, Daniel Scott <328productions at gmail.com> wrote:

> I ran lsmod, and it appears that all the appropriate modules were loaded. I
> manually unloaded and reloaded ivtv-fb and ivtv, and it worked. Then I
> re-booted, and i was able to get video signal, but a previous problem came
> back: I couldn't change channels. When I press the button on the remote or
> keyboard, the OSD displays information for the new channel, but the video is
> still from the old channel. A manual un,re-load of ivtv-fb and ivtv fixed
> this as well. Also, lsmod shows lirc-i2c and lirc-dev loaded, but my remote
> doesn't work at all until I un, re-load these modules as well...

I had the same symptoms with my first ever mythtv install, which I'd
installed as per Jarod's FC2 guide.  Any combination of manually
modprobing ivtv and lirc worked OK but the autostart, via the
/etc/init.d/ scripts, failed as you describe (can't change channels).

My solution was to change the order in which the lirc and mythbackend
services are started.  I forget exactly how I did it (you need to read
up how services are managed in your distribution) but I remember I
proved my point by hacking the 'S' number prepended to the symlinks in
the rc5.d directory.

Hope this helps

I can't remember the exact details but under Fedora there are a a set
of directories called (I think) rc3.d, rc4.d rc5.d which contain
symlink to the start up scripts contained in /etc/init.d.