[mythtv-users] [Fwd: enabling console border/border image]

James Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Wed Feb 15 22:21:51 UTC 2006

-------- Forwarded Message --------
> From: Richard Bronosky <mythtv at bronosky.com>
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] enabling console border/border image
> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:54:15 -0500
>
> At one time I saw a distro that had the primary vt console in the center
> of an image of a TV/monitor.  This would be great for me since I am
> having such a problem with my overscan on vt[1-6].  I've searched for
> framebuffer howtos but they all seem to be the same. If I want to do
> anything other than alter modes like 0x314 (
> http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO.html#ss5.3 ) I
> don't know where to start.
>
> Does this have something to do with graphical terminals used for the
> console verses text-mode consoles?  I get the feeling that I'm a few
> layers away from knowing enough to have an intelligent conversation.
>
> Suggestions?

If I understand correctly, because of the overscan on your TV, the edges
of your text consoles are out of view, making it difficult to work with
them. I've solve this problem with using a graphical framebuffer - and
then taking advantage of the fact that they usually support text
margins.  Most distro's have these framebuffers available, and you most
likely see them during the installation - that's how you get their
pretty logos to appear during bootup and usually at the bottom of the
text console.  So, first enable a default framebuffer with console
support in your kernel, as your link above describes, then read up on
your distro on how to make it "graphical" or "themed", or whatever it
calls it.  Once done, you can adjust the margins in the theme
configuration, and force your text to a smaller area of the screen.