[mythtv-users] Which device is which

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 16 01:26:06 UTC 2006

On Feb 15, 2006, at 6:04 PM, Michael Haan wrote:

> On 2/15/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>
> On Feb 15, 2006, at 5:47 PM, Michael Haan wrote:
>
>> On 2/15/06, Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:38:12 -0700
>> James Dastrup wrote:

>> Lite, but
>> loaded
>> Attached is

>> can see

>> video1 etc,

>> seems to
>> >
>> > Not sure where you got the "hd3000" module from. I would suggest
>> using
>> > the built-in kernel driver for the pcHDTV-3000. You need at
>> least kernel
>> > ver 2.6.12 and the module you load is called "cx88-dvb".  It
>> will show
>> > up as /dev/dvb/adapter0, and any other cards that use the same
>> driver
>> > will show up as /dev/dvb/adapter1, /dev/dvb/adapter2, etc.
>> >

>> OK I have just demonstrated my profound ignorance of these
>> particular devices. Please move on, nothing to see here :-)
>>

>> --
>>
>> Here is the output of my lsmod, sorted:
>>

>> cx22702                40389  1 cx88_dvb
>> cx8800                 71373  0
>> cx8802                 47173  1 cx88_dvb
>> cx88_dvb               46429  0
>> cx88xx                103265  3 cx8800,cx88_dvb,cx8802
>
> I notice you have both the cx8800 and cx88_dvb loaded. I read
> something that said you were supposed to unload cx8800 before
> with my problems with QAM
>
> Do you have an hd3000 card working in digital mode with this module
> config?

> Nope, not yet (well, it did before).  I can unload it manually, but
> I'm not sure how to make that permanent - I tried make menuconfig,
> but it bombed.  Also, not sure why it's being loaded (cx8800).
> Thanks for chiming in, though - helps to get to the bottom of this.

Do you have your /usr/src/linux symlink pointing to the correct
source directory, and did you run "makemenuconfig" from that
directory  ??

You could rmmod the module with a line in rc.local (if your distro
runs that way). I'm not really sure that it is causing me problems
though, azap gives me proper results and I can play the stream with
mplayer, I just get "too many packet" errors and azap loses lock at
times while playing, but never otherwise.

It looks to me as if I have both an analog and a digital source for
the hd3000 card (/dev/ideox and /dev/dvb/adapterx), which everyone
seems to say you can't do.

But too many other things to work out, getting the hd card working is
a low priority right now, as I have 3 other cap cards working OK.

But on the original subject here, a very careful reading of your
bootup messages should reveal which card is which.