[mythtv-users] Closed caption stopped working in 0.19

W Klink wklink at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 02:06:53 UTC 2006

On 2/15/06, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:

> Check you close captioning setting in mythtv-setup.  I remember that I
> had to set the format there before it worked.  I don't know if this
> maybe was something new between 0.18 and 0.19 which requires setting
> before it works.

I checked that.  The only relevant things that I see are:

Under "General" [third screen]:

TV format: "NTSC"
VBI format: "NTSC Closed Caption"
[...]

And under "Capture Cards" [ V4L : /dev/video ]:

Card type: "Analog V4L capture card"
Video device: "/dev/video"
VBI device: "/dev/vbi"
Audio device: "/dev/dsp"
[...]

I know /dev/vbi is correct because I can use "ccdecoder" with /dev/vbi
and motv and read the captions (if I watch TV with mythtv and run
"ccdecoder", it tells me "/dev/vbi: Device or resource busy", so it's
obviously using the device.

While watching Live TV or a recording, hitting the "T" key will toggle
between "CC1" and "CC off".  However, anything recorded since I cut
over to 0.19 will not show any captions (although it will still toggle
between "CC1" and "CC off").