[mythtv-users] OT: GUI transcoder

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Thu Feb 16 03:30:45 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:51:08 -0500
Sdk <sdkovacs at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/15/06, Bryan Halter <bhalter at armyofpenguins.com> wrote:
> > Sdk wrote:
> >
> > >My desktop at home is Fedora Core 4. I'm looking for a GUI transcoder
> > >to convert my DV avi's to XVID or DIVX. Any suggestions?
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >Steve
> > >

> > DVD::RIP is a nice GUI for ripping DVDs.  I mention it because it works
> > in 2 steps. 1) Riip VOB files 2) transcode.  I'm not sure if it will do
> > what you want though but it might be worth a shot.

> Bryan,
> Thanks for the response. I tried DVD::rip and it doesnt seem to fit the bill.

You will find kino or mainactor will do what you want.

mainactor is not in portage. If you want it then

emerge rpm sdl libraw1394 libavc1394

download the mainactor suse rpm from their website

rpm --nodeps mainactor-5.5.7-suse_9.3.i686.rpm    (version may have
changed now)

installs to /opt and puts a link to its binary as /usr/bin/mactor