[mythtv-users] Sky One

Mike Richardson doctor at mcc.ac.uk
Thu Feb 16 11:33:57 UTC 2006

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:50:13AM +0000, Nick wrote:
> If you're unprepared to use your existing ntl boxes to record (how do
> ever record to VCR from ntl if you don't want the boxes used for
> recordings?) you can either get another ntl box specifcally for your
> Myth machine, so that it is not used for TV watching, or you could
> take out a SKy subscription, which would cost a lot more than the
> additional ntl box.

I thougth that the max number of NTL boxes was two? If so we already have
both in use. Upstairs is fed by one box and downstairs by the other.

> The problem with using MythTV with an externally controlled source,
> like ntl or Sky, is that there is the risk of the channel being
> changed outside of MythTV, and also in the case of ntl currently, each
> box has only one tuner, which is tied up when either a recording is in
> progress or TV is being watched outside of MythTV.

This is part of the problem. We don't want to have to move room to
accommodate a recording schedule. Neither do we want to risk interrupting a
recording by changing channel.

> I solved this by building a cheap and small slave machine for the
> bedroom so that wherever we are in the house, we can watch TV via ntl
> and record from ntl at the same time. The only potential issue this
> has is if we want to record 2 programs simultaneously on ntl and also
> watch another ntl channel.

If three NTL boxes are viable then this is certainly something I would
seriously consider, however I'd probably locate box 3 into the computer room
and have that dedicated to MythTV.

> IR blasters are quite straightforward to setup if you end up going
> that route (you're going to need to control the boxes somehow and the
> serial ports on them are not supported AFAIK) and the Sky extender
> mentioned by Chris is for Sky boxes only.

If the box can be dedicated as above then I'm happy to use the IR blaster
thing.

Thanks

Mike

--
Mike Richardson
Networks
Email: doctor at mcc.ac.uk
*Plain text only please - attachments stripped on arrival*