[mythtv-users] lirc w/atrpms

Dylan R. Semler dsemler at macalester.edu
Fri Feb 17 18:20:08 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean wrote:

>On 02/17/2006 01:00 AM, Dylan R. Semler wrote:
>

>>This is a minor issue but it's been annoying me.  I'm running myth from
>>atrpms-testing which I've read has lirc compiled in.  However, I cannot
>>get my remote to work in myth without running the irxevent program
>>first.  I have taken the lircrc.example file from the myth tarball,
>>edited the button names and placed it as .lircrc in my home directory
>>and slinked to it in ~/.mythtv.
>>

>Make sure it's called ~/.mythtv/lircrc (without a "." on the filename)

I had read the previous thred about this mistake and made sure that the
files were named properly.

>>  Is there something I'm missing?  My
>>lircrc file seems to be set to call irxevent i.e.:
>>
>>begin
>>    prog = irxevent
>>    button = 7
>>    config = Key 7 CurrentWindow
>>end
>>
>>Should this maybe be changed to myth/mythtv/mythfrontend...?
>>

>prog = mythtv  (I think that's what you're asking.)
>
>Mike

Yup, that's what I was asking.  This ended up being part of the fix.
The other problem was that I had compiled lirc from source and used the
atrpms version and I guess the wrong was was being loaded at boot.
After fixing that myth seemed to be able to detect button-pushes of the
remote, but it still didn't work.  I found in the frontend logs, when I
push a button on the remote I got:

LircClient warning: attempt to convert 'Key Right CurrentWindow' to a
key sequence failed. Fix your key mappings.
LircClient warning: attempt to convert 'Key 7 CurrentWindow' to a key
sequence failed. Fix your key mappings.
LircClient warning: attempt to convert 'Key 5 CurrentWindow' to a key
sequence failed. Fix your key mappings.

when my lircrc file was formatted as in the lircrc.example file, i.e.:
begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = right
    repeat = 3
    config = Key Right CurrentWindow
end

However, when I changed it to

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = right
    repeat = 3
    config = Right
end

everything finally worked.  None of these changes that need to be made
to lircrc.example file are written in the documentation.  Perhaps the
docs should be updated, or better yet include a lircrc.example.irxevent
and a lircrc.example.mythtv file with the myth tarballs.