[mythtv-users] Choppiness w/ transcoded digital broadcast

yan seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Feb 17 21:24:47 UTC 2006

Chris Pinkham wrote:

>>I've been watching the backend transcode another HDTV recording....
>>
>>Once in a while, it spits out an error:
>>
>>[mpeg2video @ 0x4c0ec830]ac-tex damaged at 117 40
>>[mpeg2video @ 0x4c0ec830]concealing 40 DC, 40 AC, 40 MV errors
>>[mpeg2video @ 0x4c0ec830]MPEG motion vector out of boundary
>>[mpeg2video @ 0x4c0ec830]MPEG motion vector out of boundary
>>
>>Is this normal?  Acceptable?
>>
>>What does it mean?
>>

>Sounds like the stream or the file was corrupt.  You probabl see
>these errors while playing back the original file also.  The new
>MPEG2 -> MPEG2 "lossless" transcoding code in 0.19 might be able
>to fix this up, then you could transcode again from MPEG2 -> MPEG4.

Chris:

I've put nuvscan output on my website, along with a README that explains
the three dumps:

http://www.seiner.com/nuvscan.tar.bz2

If you get a chance, I would appreciate any suggestions.  The choppiness
starts about 8 minutes into nuvscan1.out recording.

(unpatched) mplayer will play the original nuv file, but not the
transcoded file.

Is there a way to use mencoder for the transcoding?

--Yan