[mythtv-users] Various MythWeb nits and gripes---can I fix these somehow?

Matt Mossholder matt at mossholder.com
Sat Feb 18 00:18:07 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 19:01 -0500, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
> But a show that's currently recording -is- scheduled! :)
>
> Let me put it this way:  If I'm currently -in- a meeting, that
> meeting is -still- scheduled...  And it will -continue- to be
> scheduled until it's -done-, e.g., until the ending time of the
> meeting is in the past.  Otherwise, if I'm one minute late to a
> meeting, I can just blow it off, because hey, it's not scheduled
> any more so I don't have to go... :)

According to dictionary.com:
	Scheduled - To plan or appoint for a certain time or date: scheduled a
trip in June; was scheduled to arrive Monday.

So, once you have reached the appointed date/time and begun recording,
you've gone from something you plan on doing, to something that you are
actually doing.

To use your analogy, if you schedule a meeting for noon, and at noon,
you begin the meeting, you move from having scheduled a meeting, to
actually having a meeting. Conversely, if you schedule a meeting for
noon, but no one shows up, it's not a meeting, even though it was on the
schedule.  The term you used, "scheduled meeting" just means that the
the meeting had a reserved time slot, as opposed to an unscheduled
meeting, which happens on the spur of the moment, by chance, etc.

The other important distinction is that once a recording has started,
you now fall into the "Recordings" category, since you actually have
data to view on disk. Scheduled recordings do not. This is important
because there is an entirely different set of data that becomes
interesting once you have begun recording, such as file size, current
duration, signal quality, etc. etc. etc.