[mythtv-users] What email client are you using?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sat Feb 18 02:57:34 UTC 2006

> Look. I agree with the top-posting v. bottom-posting tips, but you have
> to realize that probably more than 95% of the people running MythTV have
> both the backend and the frontend running on the same machine. What
> does that mean? They are not surfing in Lynx. Hopefully, they are using
> Firefox.

And you have to realize that it's the other 5% of MythTV users that
know the most about Myth.  And this 5% gets annoyed by the top-posting
and 99% content to 1% reply ratio.  This causes us to almost totally
ignore these messages.  So, it's in the 95%'s best interest to follow
the established standard and not do their own thing.

> It is 2006, man. Not 1976. If you are going to start playing the "gotta
> send in text format because my mail reader is ELM" hand, you need to
> look at your own usage.  If you are SO protective of your server that

It's nothing to do with text vs GUI.  I use elm at home and Evolution at
work.  Other than searching, I think I'm more efficient with elm, but
use Evolution because of attachments, calendaring, etc. at work.

The English speaking world (not U.S., the world) reads left to right,
top to bottom.  That alone should indicate that top-posting is off.

All the people with these GUI email clients with threaded readers, etc.
should have to quote less, because they can easily follow the thread.
The only reason they quote 99 lines and prepend (or append for some) a
1-line reply is because they are lazy.  If you learn anything from
being on the Myth mailing lists, learn that lazy people don't get
developer's time (or other "power" users time for that matter).

> To answer the question: Thunderbird.

Doesn't matter much to me as long as your messages are readable.  If
their not, I usually skip over them as do lots of other people.  So
again, it's in people's best interest to follow the netiquette rules.
There's enough misinformation on this list, but missing out on some
good info because a person can't be bothered to delete the
unapplicable parts of an email before they reply is a bit stupid.

Anyway, enough of my time wasted on this thread.  Back to
developing.... :)

--
Chris