[mythtv-users] What email client are you using? Evolving, but WAY OT

Matt Hannan mythtvlist at cox.net
Sat Feb 18 03:19:51 UTC 2006

Chris Pinkham wrote:
> So, it's in the 95%'s best interest to follow
> the established standard and not do their own thing.

You are not in the US, are you? ;-) Maybe you are. Maybe I should move
to Denmark where "freedom of speech" still means something. ;-)

> The English speaking world (not U.S., the world) reads left to right,
> top to bottom.  That alone should indicate that top-posting is off.

No, that would indicate that top-posting is MORE effective.
If you are interested in the thread, and folks are properly harvesting
out the chaff, then having the most recent post at the top is a time saver.
Why would you want to reread the first twenty chapters of a book just to
get to the next one?
It makes sense in nature, too. Look at the geologic record. Deeper you
dig, older it gets.

> All the people with these GUI email clients with threaded readers, etc.
> should have to quote less, because they can easily follow the thread.
> The only reason they quote 99 lines and prepend (or append for some) a
> 1-line reply is because they are lazy.

I have no argument with you here. Most people are lazy. Get used to it.
I know I am being forced to.
>> To answer the question: Thunderbird.
>>

> Doesn't matter much to me as long as your messages are readable.  If
> their not, I usually skip over them as do lots of other people.  So
> again, it's in people's best interest to follow the netiquette rules.

Dated rules that they are.
> There's enough misinformation on this list, but missing out on some
> good info because a person can't be bothered to delete the
> unapplicable parts of an email before they reply is a bit stupid.

Which is where the searchablitiy of the Gossamer web site comes into play.
> Anyway, enough of my time wasted on this thread.  Back to
> developing.... :)

And I thank you for that. Seriously. I would not be on this mailing list
if I did not believe in the end product and efforts of those deeply
involved.

Matt