[mythtv-users] Upgrading Back-End System

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Sun Feb 19 19:51:41 UTC 2006

I've had my MythTV system for a few months, and I'm quite satisfied
with how it's working, and am currently trying to encourage my family
to use it. The current set-up is a Back-End with 256 MB of RAM, some
rather small hard disks, a Celeron 600, and a Hauppauge PVR-150. The
front-end is an XBox.

Even though I've had my Myth box a short time, I know that it already
needs upgrades. First and foremost is a hard disk. But, I'm also
thinking I might need an extra tuner or two for the system. I'm
thinking of installing either another PVR-150, or going whole-hog and
getting a PVR-500. I'm not getting a hard disk smaller than 200 GB.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the Myth Users community has any suggestions
on this one. Would my Celeron 600 be able to support three
simultaneous tuners? Are there any other hardware encoding cards that
the Myth community can suggest (single or dual-tuners? I'm thinking
dual, because I've only got one additional PCI slot I can
appropriate). Any possible complications?

And is there any word on a .19 version of Myth in a pre-configured/
compiled disk image or whatever for XBox? I'd like to upgrade, but so
far, all of the instructions I've received to compiling on the XBox
point me to the defunct XBox-MythTV project, or the non-existant
MythTV Debian Packages. My attempts at compiling MythTV myself
haven't been very successful, so I'm just looking at my options right
now.

thanks for all your guys' help! MythTV wouldn't be where it is today
without your help!

"I may not have gone, where I intended to go, but I think I have
ended up, where I intended to be."
	--Douglas Adams