[mythtv-users] OT: NFS shares on windows

Joe Silver devils.taco at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 06:35:52 UTC 2006

I have a windows box that I use to store archived files, and have been using
the regular windows filesharing (samba) to allow access to the folders
containing these files to my myth frontend machine.  Unfortunately, there is
a limit of 10 open shares on windows xp and i've run into some problems.  I
spent the afternoon figuring how to get an NFS-server setup on windows which
seems to be working great so far, so I thought I'd share what I found here
in case anyone else would find this useful or had other insights I may have
missed.

I guess there are a number of commercial NFS-windows servers out there.  i
didn't bother with any of those once I discovered the Services for Unix
(SFU) from Microsoft.
here are the notes i scribbled down:

download services for unix (~220 MB) from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sfu/

unzip, run installation wizard

select to install:
NFS:
    Client for NFS
    Server for NFS
Authentication tools for NFS:
    User Name Mapping
    Server for NFS Authentication

I installed to the default directory c:\SFU
Edit the .maphosts file in c:\SFU\Mapper to allow the appropriate hosts.
I'm on a trusted
network so I simply put a "+" in this file.

Copy the files /etc/group and /etc/passwd from the mythtv box to
c:\SFU\Mapper

Run the Services For Unix Administration program
Select User Name Mapping
Select configuration, choose "Use Password and Group Files"
and select the passwd and group files copied from the linux box

Select Maps and under Advanced maps, "Show User Maps"
push "List windows users" and "List UNIX users"
Choose a pair of users as appropriate and push "ADD"
I chose my local user name on windows and mythtv on unix,
as well as Administrator/root.  I'm not sure if this is really secure
but as I said I'm on a trusted network.
Do a similar thing for "Show Group Maps"
I let root be in the Administrator group and mythtv in power users.

Push apply.  Go to windows explorer and select a folder you want to share
using nfs.
Right click, and select Sharing and Security.
Click NFS Sharing tab and share this folder, adding an appropriate share
name and user access.

mount the directory as a usual nfs directory on linux.

I hope people find this helpful.