[mythtv-users] SOLVED System Load/Performance Question

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 20 19:28:50 UTC 2006

On Feb 19, 2006, at 9:57 PM, Yan Seiner wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> I don't see any problems there (the cx88 card is not set up in
>> MythTV), the only sharing I see is USB, which I'm not using.
>>
>> I just set up the offending situation again to get these numbers and
>> I'm again getting the digital breakup, and occasional audio hits.
>> vmstat shows 97 % idle and 0 wa. Mythfrontend shows between 12 and 15
>> % CPU
>>

> Google for PCI latency....  That may give you some relief, or not.
>
> ISTR you can adjust it via /proc..
>
> --Yan

Wow, Yan, you get the "Helpful Soul" award of the Month, if not the
year !!!

I get to learn something new *and* fix my problem.

I never paid any particular attention to PCI latency, never had a
reason to, until now, I suspect most folks are in the same boat.

Apparently the VIA BIOS simply sets all latencies to 32, except for
the bridges etc. Some things can intervene and set a value to
something else, the ivtv modules and the nVidia module for example.

Since IVTV had set the latencies of the PVRs to 64, and my IDE bus
was still at 32, The effective bandwidth of the two PVR cards
combined was significantly greater than the IDE system.

Adjusting the IDE latency to 176 (b0 hex) seems to have solved the
problem. I have been watching live TV with a recording happening
along with a comm flag job for over an hour now with no glitches and
no pre-buffering messages.

I checked my Dell box, which has an intel "Tehema" PCI controller,
and it seems to set everything to 64, except for some reason it sets
the IDE latency to 0, which seems weird but it might be tied in to
the IDE controller's function somehow. IVTV accepts this and does not
complain, as it does about the 32 value on the VIA-based machine.

One lesson here is to never ignore a warning in the boot messages,
like the one from ivtv about latency.  I will study the matter more
as I suspect all latencies can be optimized to improve overall system
performance (network, sound etc.). Setting them all to some default
seems like the easy way out for the manufacturers.

Thanks again, and hopefully this thread being in the archives will
help somebody else sometime. I wonder how many other "odd" problems
are related to this.