[mythtv-users] 0.19 Closed Captions and PVR-250

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. gtgj at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 20 19:39:08 UTC 2006

>>>>> Dylan Keon writes:

d> When watching the Olympics with CC1 on I noticed quite a pause between
d> what the announcers were saying and the text that was displayed on the
d> screen.  If you're watching with the sound off it would be ok, but if
d> you're using CC1 as a "backup" to help you follow the show (my wife
d> likes to do this), it's less usable.

        Unless the captioner can watch the show well before broadcast
(preferably with a script), the captions have to be done in real time
and are always delayed.  Have you watched the Olympics on regular TV
(no MythTV) to compare the caption delay?  How is the delay for captions
in commercials?

        (One nice enhancement to MythTV I have considered for a
long time but haven't been able to try is to compensate for the delay
in real-time captions by reading them a few seconds ahead of video.)
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.