[mythtv-users] KnoppMyth, too good to be true?

Jim Reith reith at racores.com
Mon Feb 20 20:36:36 UTC 2006

At 03:11 PM 2/20/2006, you wrote:
>On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:32:41 -0800, Jim Reith <reith at racores.com> wrote:
>
> > yeah, that's what my install did once I got the X Server configured
> > for tv out. if the tv isn't right but the X Server doesn't crash, the
> > easiest thing is to telnet into the box to have a command prompt and
> > see what's going on. Do you have both the tv and monitor connected?
> > Do you get funky colors on the tv screen before the monitor goes blank?
>
>If both are hooked up, I get the color test-pattern when the machine
>starts up. I'm trying to remember--but I don't think the test pattern
>rolls, oddly enough.
>
>If I telnet in...heh, then what?<s>

then you can look at the various logs and play with the X
configuration to see what isn't set up correctly. I know in the
KnoppMyth forums there was some discussion on this but i didn't
experience it (my tv came up correctly) but I do remember seeing it
go by. i think at this point you've just got an X Configuration
problem http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=BlackScreenAfterInstall

"About 9 times out of 10 the problem is that your
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 is broken. Go back, reread the directions,
follow them. If it still doesn't work, look for examples appropriate
to your card and local TV out standard."

I'm assuming you hijacked this topic because you're seeing this in KnoppMyth?