[mythtv-users] System Load/Performance Question

Micha Kersloot micha at kovoks.nl
Mon Feb 20 22:06:04 UTC 2006

Hi,

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2006, at 1:47 PM, Micha Kersloot wrote:

<snip>

>> I do have the feeling the SATA gives some problems. But the strange
>> thing is that enabling XvMC brings the load back to acceptable values,
>> under 1 in almost all cases. But I really miss the option to user
>> PiP then.
>> The drive is connected to a VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA
>> RAID
>> Controller
>> I've found out that 2.6.15 is a bit better than the previous versions.
>>
>> At the end... You're not alone, i think.
>>

> Perhaps you missed my "SOLVED" post on this thread.
>
> My problem turned out to be PCI latency settings. I have now added a
> transcode job to the mix in addition to a recording and a comm flag
> job and LiveTV is rock solid.
>
> You may have a similar problem, since you seem to be having problems
> with only a 30% CPU load. I'll add something on the subject to the
> Wiki soon, but in the meantime you might want to use lspci -v to
> examine your latencies and setpci to adjust them, see the previous
> post. You've also got the same 6420 SATA controller (VIA calls this a
> RAID bus controller, but it isn't really) as I do, I also set its
> latency to 176 (b0).
>
> I'm still wondering how many "LiveTV breakup" problems might be
> related to this, as I doubt I am the only one to get caught by it,
> but I've not seen it mentioned before.

I've seen your post (after sending mine ;-) And tried it right away. It
does seem to help! No hick-ups in the LiveTV anymore. But the load
average jumps around from 0.30 to 3.00 and back while only watching TV
on the local box. But it doesn't seem to have any bad effect.

So maybe..... it's a SOLVED for me to ;-)

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Micha Kersloot