[mythtv-users] Using firewire input and channel changing on SA3250

Dan Gapinski ashembers at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 21 01:55:05 UTC 2006

I found a few things about using the SA3250 that I
thought I might share, since I have not seen much buzz
on these boxes.

1) Myth support for this exists, but I see no
documentation on it. I'm kind of a newbie to this, but
I know that the box works since I can test it's
functionality in Windows XP using MCE 2005 drivers
that I found at
http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/download.aspx?id=1295&MessageID=104152
It was the only way I ad to test functionality, so I
thought I might offer that when all I am getting is a
black screen & Myth hanging.

2) This unit can change channels via the firewire
connection, which I see no talk about at all online
nor here. I'm not down on this list, but when I saw
that the above link also gave instructions for
command-line channel changing without an IR blaster, I
thought it could get no better & would be just the
coolest if Myth can do it too. Has anyone gotten so
far with that though?

3) I don't know if it's the same way with Myth, but
when I use CapDVHS to capture video over firewire, the
resultant MPEG2 file is 700+MB for 6.5 minutes! I
figure that can't be right - Myth can do better right?

Most grateful for any feedback anyone can offer,
Dan