[mythtv-users] XFS crash

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 21 20:05:36 UTC 2006

On Feb 21, 2006, at 12:48 PM, Marco Nelissen wrote:

>> I wouldn't even think about running JFS without a UPS though.
>
> Isn't the point of using a journaled filesystem that it is
> robust and won't get corrupted just because power failed?
> I used JFS when I installed my box, because the mythtv docs
> said XFS and JFS are best, but hinted at XFS possibly having
> problems. Are you saying JFS isn't the best choice?

Well actually I wouldn't "think" of running *any* filesystem with
hundreds of GBs of files on it without a UPS.

But I had read that JFS, in particular, gains its speed at the
expense of having a lot of data "in transit", and not actually stored
on the drive, so the journal would protect files once they were
committed to the platters, but has a higher risk of losing them
before that, should the power fail while they were held in cache. The
journal protects what's been journaled, and is supposed to protect
against total file *system* corruption, but can put an individual
*file* at risk in the quest for speed.

I chose JFS because of its reputation for being able to delete large
files quickly, something my system does a lot.

But just look at the l-o-n-g thread a while back on this list on the
subject of filesystems, and you'll see a lot of contention and
disagreement on the matter.