[mythtv-users] All I Want to do is Use ALSA - 1.0.11

Tom Dale tdmyth at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 21 20:13:14 UTC 2006

Okay.  After my last post, I decided to start over again with my Alsa upgrade, but this time, I went back to my handy guide from Jarod to see where I should really start.  At that point, I realized that Jarod's instructions include the commands:
                    # yum install alsa-kmdl-$KVER
                    # yum install alsa-driver

My  brother suggested that it would be a good idea to start with:

                    # yum remove alsa-kmdl-$KVER

 After that finished, I rebooted and took a quick look at Alsa with:

                        # cat /proc/asound/version

Believe it or not, I am now running 1.0.11rc3 and I did not need to re-install anything!  Unfortunately, I didn't learn much.  Why did this work?  I don't know.  I surmise that the 1.0.10 version was getting picked up first, somehow, but that's not a really satisfying answer.  Perhaps someone with a better understanding of Linux can help explain it.

Part of my MythTV project has been to try to learn Linux well enough to have it running on some of my other computers for "regular"  use, but so far, I have had problems at virtually every turn.  I still don't feel like I am picking it up well enough to administrate Linux on any other computer.  I feel like I'm wandering through a maze in the dark...feeling my way along...getting a few directions from nice people here and there.  Oh well.  :->

Tom

Michael Haan <michael.haan at gmail.com> wrote: On 2/21/06, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote: On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 01:25:13AM -0500, Michael Haan wrote:
> Yes, that is my issue as well.  cat /proc/asound/version still returns
> 1.0.10.  I could wait for 1.0.11 to be released (and packaged by the ever
> efficient Axel), but who knows when that will be...  arg!

Currently the most easiest, fastest, efficient and "safest" way to use
Fedora Core, ATrpms, mythtv and alsa 1.0.11rc3 is to install FC5test3
and install mythtv from ATrpms' FC5 repo on it.

The backside is that this may eat your harddisk contents and your
dog, and that you'll have to reinstall in 4 weeks time (never upgrade
from a test release to the final bits), so you better keep notes on
how you did it, should you go FC5 (and maybe give the dog to the
neighbours to watch over him for a couple of days).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

I'm now running 1.0.11-rc3 - we'll see tonight if that fixes my issue.