[mythtv-users] How To Add Pages to the Wiki

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Feb 21 21:04:28 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:
> OK, much thanks for the pointers. I really did look through "help"
> but I guess I didn't understand what "categorization" was, and thus
> didn't know to look for its help.
>
> I was trying to make the page show up as a link on the "Knowledge
> Base" page, so I clicked on one of the pages listed there and erased
> its title and put in my own, thinking that it would then show up as a
> new page link from there. It *seemed* logical. A link to glossary
> should be there too, but if I were looking for the info I'd go to the
> "knowledge Base" first, perhaps that's just me.

Well, the knowledge base is a top level category.   It shows anything
put into the Knowledge base category ([[Category:Knowledge Base]]
somewhere in the document).  It is not recommended to put pages into
this top level category.

> I want to put a link on each of the Hauppauge pages that are under
> "Hardware" to the effect that if you see the "Unreasonably Low
> Latency" message from ivtv in your log you should probably read the
> latency page to see if it is something you should worry about. I
> think I can figure out how to do that.

Just add text like:

If you see "Unreasonably Low Latency" message from ivtv in your log,
read the page on [[PCI Latency]]

and it will link to the page.
> I guess, like anything, a lot more reading is required to get the
> wiki thing figured out, but I really did expect it to be more
> intuitive. Once I get it figured out I hope I can help out some, I've
> discovered the "pages wanted" section and perhaps I can help out
> there some. I do know at least basic English, and, being retired,
> have spare time :-)
The categories can be confusing at first but they provide an automated
structure of pages to the site that keeps content organized with little
human interaction.  Just remember that [[Anything]] "creates" a page
because if that page title doesn't already exist, then clicking on it
allows creation of it.  That's how the Wanted Pages page works, by
finding links in documents to pages that don't exist yet.

Kevin