[mythtv-users] Onboard Intel sound out - getting a ticking sound

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 18:47:19 UTC 2006

On 2/22/06, Steve Dorsey <info at dorseygraphics.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
>    I'm using an Intel D915PBL on-board sound-out to power my speakers
> right now (I just set up my system). I get a constant ticking buzzing
> sound. Is this common? It gets louder when the volume increases.
>
> Here's a sample in mp3 format:
>
> http://www.dorseygraphics.com/forumphotos/mythticking.mp3
>
> I have no idea what's causing it. I hope it does not happen with my
> fiber audio out also.

Chances are it's analog intereference. Perhaps from the unshielded CD
Audio cable inside the machine.

I'd suggest muting everything in the mixer that you're not using.

Also ensure that your amplifier and PC have the same earth feed by
ensuring they're on the same circuit (Or perhaps run a small wire
between the external cases of both units) to eliminate ground loops
(Which will cause a 60Hz hum (In the US/Canada) or 50Hz hum (In Most
of Europe)). Also having a smoothed power supply (Surge protected at
least, preferably UPS'd) will remove hums and clicks from other
appliances in the house.

Using a Digital connection (Either TOSLink optical or SP/DIF Phono)
will remove any noise from between the PC and the amplifier, but any
noise in the system before that (From line-in, Microphone or CD-Audio,
for example) will still go through to the amplifier. So disable those
in the mixer, as Myth uses only digital audio from the capture card
(Unless you're using a Composite/SVideo input (In which case you'll
only hear the noise in a recording, not at a menu), or a BTTV card
which requires the line-in).

If you're using a BTTV card, without BTAudio, an "RF Choke" might help
remove any noise on the audio input (And would help on the analog-in
for the amp, too. See your local Tandy/Radio Shack/Maplin to purchase
an "RF Choke". They're very simple to get hold of)
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston