[mythtv-users] Anyone have a dual-head setup they'd recommend?

Schlaegel vthtym0505 at schlaegel.com
Wed Feb 22 22:32:40 UTC 2006

On 2/22/06, Anthony Vito <anthony.vito at gmail.com> wrote:

> >  The trick was getting mythfrontend to show on a different X server. I
> > really wanted this so that anyone could log out, or not be logged in at
> all,
> > and still have mythfrontend running uninterrupted.
>
> Note that you don't "need" a PVR350 to do this. If the OP doesn't want
> to change how his mythtv box works by added/removing different
> encoders, the same general idea will work with any separate video
> device. A pci video card would suffice. That type of setup would
> probably be more simple then the PVR350 one.

True, you don't need a PVR350 to have a separate head dedicated to
mythfrontend. But, I would highly recommend a card that supports hardware
decoding so viewing video on mythfrontend does not affect performance of the
primary head. The PVR350 does this, and I don't know what other cards do it
also. For my situation the PVR350 was the only viable option, as I have a
silent SFF case that only supports one PCI card and the PVR350 integrates
hardware encode, hardware decode, TV out, IR remote, and tuner into one PCI
card.