[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR-150 MCE-Kit Model 1062 Remote

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Thu Feb 23 01:19:10 UTC 2006

> Does anyone have this setup with MCE remote working?  It's a RC6, grey on
> top, black on the bottom.  The Kit comes with
> a SMK receiver box that is USB.
>
> I am not sure what driver to use either.  Right now I have:
>
> LIRC_OPTS="--with-driver=mceusb2"
>
> but my biggest problem is that udev does not create the device nodes at
> boot.
>
> Any ideas???
>
> Gentoo 2005.1
> lirc-0.8.0

I'm running the exact same Gentoo and lirc versions with udev on an Epia
13000. A few useful files (note the lircd executable I've copied to lircd1
so I can have a 2nd instance running an irblaster)

First, I load up the modules at startup.
media ~ # cat /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
# /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6:  kernel modules to load when system
boots.
# $Header:
/home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6,v
1.1 2003/07/16 18:13:45 azarah Exp $
#
# Note that this file is for 2.6 kernels.
#
# Add the names of modules that you'd like to load when the system
# starts into this file, one per line.  Comments begin with # and
# are ignored.  Read man modules.autoload for additional details.

# For example:
snd-via82xx
via
#lirc_mceusb
lirc_serial
ivtv

See that the mceusb one is commented out? Thats because of this which
forces the usb driver to load before the serial one so I know which one is
which!!
media ~ # cat /etc/modules.d/lirc_serial
# For COM1 use:
alias char-major-61-1 lirc_serial
options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8
install lirc_serial /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none;\
        /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_serial
add above lirc_dev lirc_mceusb2

# For COM2 use:
#alias char-major-61-1 lirc_serial
#options lirc_serial irq=3 io=0x2f8
#install lirc_serial /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart none;\
#       /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_serial
#add above lirc_dev lirc_mceusb2

Now that the modules are installed, there should be some /dev/files. Note
that lirc is a directory in udev and the instances of the driver appear as
0..1..2 within that directory. Tell the lirc startup script about this via
the /etc/conf.d entry

media ~ # cat /etc/conf.d/lircd
# Options to pass to the lircd process
LIRCD_OPTS="-d /dev/lirc/0 -o /dev/lircd"
LIRCD_OPTS1="-d /dev/lirc/1 -o /dev/lircd1 -P /var/run/lircd1.pid"

Finally, start up the lirc deamon itself
media ~ # cat /etc/init.d/lircd
#!/sbin/runscript
# Copyright 1999-2004 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/app-misc/lirc/files/lircd,v 1.6
2004/09/26 21:27:07 lanius Exp $

start() {
        ebegin "Starting lircd"
        start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/local/sbin/lircd --
${LIRCD_OPTS}
        eend $?

        ebegin "Starting second lircd"
        start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/local/sbin/lircd1 --
${LIRCD_OPTS1}
        eend $?
}

stop() {
        ebegin "Stopping lircd"
        start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --exec /usr/local/sbin/lircd
        eend $?

        ebegin "Stopping second lircd"
        start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --exec /usr/local/sbin/lircd1
        eend $?
}

I'm sure thats as clear as mud now!!

--