[mythtv-users] 0.19, XvMC, and Prebuffer pause

Michael Haan michael.haan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 04:55:47 UTC 2006

On 2/22/06, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm having the same exact issue with about the same exact hardware...
>
> I don't use live tv, and 0.18 worked really good for me (except the
> non-annoying OSD problem).
>
> Now with 0.19 with the same setting, even 720p is unwatchable.
> Prebuffer pause every 100ms, really hurts audio.  I opened a ticket
> cause I couldn't find one about watching recorded programs.  Got
> closed with saying "Users list question".
>
> I've been on 0.19 for about 4-5 days, I don't want to lose my programs
> because I'm going back...
>
> Any help here on how to debug "pre-buffering" pause?  Ticket was 1361.
>
> Wife is not happy...  She now wants to use the SD dish to watch TV,
> after seeing HD I can't go back...
>
> Steve M.
>
> On 2/22/06, Dawning Sky <the.dawning.sky at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just upgraded to 0.19 through ATrpms and so far it's been running
> great.
> > XvMC is much more stable.  I can now watch Live TV or recordings for
> hours
> > without freezing.  But I still get a lot of "prebuffer pause" and either
> > "video xxx frames ahead of audio" or "audio xxx frames ahead of video"
> in
> > the frontend log.  Sometimes I don't even notice any problem by simply
> > watching the playback, but sometimes the problem can be very
> noticable.  I'm
> > wondering whether anyone else is having or had the similar problem and
> how
> > to solve it.
> >
> > My machine is a P4 2.4GHz, 768MB RAM, FX5200 on AGP, running nVidia
> driver
> > 7174 on FC3 2.6.12 kernel.  When watching HD contents, the frontend is
> using
> > about 50% CPU and X using about 3%.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > DS

Not sure where this fits in, but I have some info I want to share about my
particulat situation which might help us all along the path to resolving
this.

First, the relevant (I think) stats:

amd64 3800
2.6.15
myth 0.19
fc4
pvr350 / hd3000
turtle beach riviera using spdif
sata 4 disk raid 5
nvidia 6600GT

My issues:

Trying to use xvmc (which worked mostly fine under 0.18.1) does not produce
ANY performance enhancements, IN FACT, sdtv on the pvr350 still hits the cpu
at around 92%.  My best odds for consistent sd/hd playback are using ffmpeg
- regardless of deint choices.  To be honest, I seem to have tons of
prebuffering/rebuffering issues all over the place - again, new to this
install - which I think are causing all my perf issues.  Does that help, or
is this the wrong thread?