[mythtv-users] Streaming recordings to Frontend

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Feb 23 13:30:05 UTC 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 01:02:44PM +0100, Thomas Börkel wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> >> I found a way to just update MythTV:
> >>
> >> apt-get install `rpm -qa "*myth*" --qf "%{NAME} "`
> >
> > No, this is wrong for the reasons outlined in another thread. Please
> > don't use that, or if you do, please ask Thomas Börkel for any future
> > support on broken mythtv on your system.
>
> Calm down. ;-)
>
> Would it be OK, if I would first execute "apt-get install mythtv-suite"
> to be safe?

No, what would change? This has even fewer packages than the line you
wrote above.

> And why would apt not pull other (non-MythTV) necessary RPMs automatically?

Because you are not allowing it to. It will only pull in new
dependencies and such that have a changed soname. But sonames changes
very seldom even when they should because the package in question has
changed the API (not only extended it).

> Remember, we are not talking about a major MythTV (0.18 -> 0.19) upgrade
> here, but an update from 0.19-x to 0.19-y.

Exactly.

> And even for a major upgrade, I always thought "apt-get install
> mythtv-suite" is enough, and not "apt-get dist-upgrade". It's the first
> time I heard, that one should use dist-upgrade to update ONE software on
> the system.

No, it's the other way around, it's uncommon to only update one
package and leave the rest rotting around. Just check your vendor's
errata, they start with requiring that you will have updated your
system to all previously available updates. No vendor guarantees
proper functionality/security/stability if you use the release
versions everywhere and only update one package.

'nuf said, the bottom line is that if you don't properly upgrade
against all of vendor, vendor updates & ATrpms stable, then your
system may do funny things and you should not go complaining to
neither mythtv, nor ATrpms for a broken system.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net