[mythtv-users] XvMC -> DXVA equivalence?

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 04:12:44 UTC 2006

Bob wrote:
> Every now and then on the list, this page gets posted
> http://www.elecard.com/technology/dxva.shtml
> in threads about the hardware acceleration capabilities of various GPUs,
> with the explanation that DXVA is the Ms version of XvMC but that due to
> poor support from manufacturers, you won't get some cards to work under
> linux.
>
> But my nVidia Geforce 2 MX/MX400 while claiming to support DXVA with
> HWMC doesn't support XvMC, is this just nVidia turning it of in the
> drivers so I have to buy a new card, or does the MPEG acceleration under
> windows for this card use a different technology not available under linux?
>
> Thanks.

Thank you both for your answers, that makes more sense now.

I've got 2 very underpowered frontends (either Celeron 433s or P!!!
667s) I don't think the i810 drivers can off load enough for smooth SDTV
/ DVD playback (I know my GeForce 2s wont) so I'll probably get a couple
of GeForce 5200s to enable these venerable old PC to be reborn as frontends.

I have a few 250MB Radeon 9250s for when the OS driver for them supports
XvMC, (joy of joys, I'll have a pure system) but I'm not holding my
breath and it remains to be seen weather my Athlon XP 3200s with full
XvMC and any other support I can give it will do HD h.264, probably not
but we'll see.

Thanks.

--
Don't know....
I'm midway through a game of musical computers....