[mythtv-users] FC4: 0.18 ---> 0.19

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Feb 24 07:26:08 UTC 2006

On Thursday 23 February 2006 00:37, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > For the pending guide update to FC5, I'm more likely than not going to
> > switch over to smart. While I like the idea of using the distro-provided
> > tool (yum), its still got some issues with its depsolver. I'm hoping that
> > once I'm settled in at Red Hat, I'll be able to spend some work hours on
> > the yum code to help improve it... :)
>
> Or spend some time getting in smart into the Core distribution? I've
> looked a bit too often into yum's code, so I know that it's a
> Herculian task to fix some things.

I think Fedora is pretty much committed to yum and wouldn't put two depsolvers
into Core, so chances are slim it'd be any easier to get smart into Core than
to fix yum (different areas of difficulty, but certainly issues with both
routes). I'd have to look at the code and/or talk to Jeremy Katz about how
closely tied pirut, pup and anaconda really are to yum itself, versus just to
the metadata format (and repo config file locations/formats)...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com