[mythtv-users] Partly OT: Firewire changing Node ID

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 15:14:23 UTC 2006

On 2/24/06, N Dugas <normdugas at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Steven Adeff wrote:
> > On 2/23/06, N Dugas <normdugas at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> >
> >>Steven Adeff wrote:
> >>[...]
> >>
> >>Here's what normally gets me going but I may not thave the order right:
> >>- stop mythbackend
> >>- unplug the firewire cable from BOTH the pc and 6412
> >>- plug the 6412 end
> >>- plug the pc end
> >>- plugreport to ensure it's on NodeID (this is the only one that will work)
> >>- run the fix_node script (plugctl commands that were suggested by you
> >>Steve some time ago which helped a great deal)
> >>- test-mpeg2 - if stuff on screen, it's a go.  If not, do the dance again
> >>- once all things are ok, restart mythbackend.
> >>
> >>The only time I'll unload modules is when I'm away from home and trying
> >>to fix things remotely but this rarely works.  It's the cable reseat
> >>that tends to make things right.
> >

> > Next time you have to do this, try setting the box up in mythtv-setup
> > to broadcast (even if your script is using p2p currently). Then unplug
> > everything restart both the cable box and the mythtv computer. I've
> > been running like this for about a month now without a missed
> > recording where as before I had mythtv using p2p, requiring the script
> > to "improve" things. If your channel changes aren't working well try
> > using 6200ch in the contrib folder with the "new" method, this new
> > method has worked perfectly for me as well.
> >
> I'll give this a try.  The reason I never used broadcast was even
> thought I had set broadcast in mythsetup, plugreport always showed it
> was set to 0.  Thanks for the tips.

I did the same early on, so don't feel bad. I was advised on the dev
list to change it to broadcast and since doing so I never missed a
recording. The second problem was the channel tuning which should be
solved with the second "new" method, in 6200ch that Tim Trampedach and
I worked on. It works for Tim and I, so any feedback from other users
as to their success with it would be great.

--
Steve