[mythtv-users] More problems than it's worth?

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Fri Feb 24 19:03:26 UTC 2006

match at ece.utah.edu wrote:
> On 24 Feb 2006 at 11:37, James Minihane wrote:
>

>>Initially I thought MythTV was THE ANSWER. But reading these lists, it
>>seems that MythTV is more of a headache than a godsend. I'm not about to
>>invest a few thousand in hardware into a problem ridden system.
>>Here's the question...
>>How many of you actually use MythTV to...
>>Time delay live TV, watch DVDs, schedule recordings, listen to music, and
>>view pictures and actually have things work without reboots etc?
>>
>>J. Minihane
>

> How interesting...
>
> 1. If you don't want to try it, then don't. Nobody's forcing you to.
>
> 2. there are hundreds, maybe thousands of us who have no problems at all with it.
>
> 3. It IS "beta". You're not paying for it, and it hasn't even reached version 1.0 yet.
>
> I definitely do not feel that MythTV is "more problems that it's worth" and my FE/BE machine
> has been running non-stop for months. In fact it runs continually and I take it offline only to do
> upgrades to hardware, and occasionally upgrades to the software.
>
> Uhmm... tell me: What software do you think provides a better solution?
>
> Marvin

I set up Myth for the very first time about 1 year or so ago.  I set up
backend and frontend machines and it took all of about 1 day to do so.
I have been "just using" it without a single problem ever since.  I used
Jarods guide and everything *just worked* the very first time.  Don't
let all of the messages on the mail list scare you off.

--
Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown