[mythtv-users] OT: Boot Failure

Phill Wiggin wigginp at mantech-wva.com
Fri Feb 24 19:20:09 UTC 2006

Bradley Remedios wrote:

>On 2/24/06, Robin Hill <myth at robinhill.me.uk> wrote:
>

>>I'd say it's either the CPU or motherboard - I don't think the memory
>>would affect it at that stage (systems will usually get to the POST
>>stage even without RAM installed).  My guess would be the motherboard,
>>though that could have killed off the CPU as well.
>>

>I'd have to agree with Robin, but I also wouldn't count out the Power
>Supply, I've seen them fail in scenerios where they provide worse and
>worse power as the current draw increases.
>
>Good Luck
>--
>Bradley Remedios

Bradley's got a good point.  Your problem is probably one of:

Power Supply
Motherboard
CPU
RAM

If you've got another system you can swap parts with (or spare parts
laying around), those are your best bet.  Sadly, it's difficult (if not
impossible) to say exactly which part is causing the problem w/o
replacing anything. (A POST PCI diagnostic card might help, but most
people don't have those.)

As to Yan's suggestion, I believe a motherboard will boot enough to (at
least) give you a POST error ("Bad CMOS Checksum" or something) if the
CMOS battery is dead/missing, but there's no harm in giving it a shot.

Another thing you might try is clearing your CMOS. Somewhere around your
CMOS battery is a 3-pin jumper.  Use that to clear your CMOS (check your
mobo manual for specifics) and reboot.

--Phill W.