[mythtv-users] More problems than it's worth?

Travis Osterman tosterman at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 01:38:15 UTC 2006

> snip

I'll add my $0.02 to the conversation.  I started with version 0.14
with Jarod's guide, FC1 and little linux knowledge.  I'll admit the
initial install was time consuming, but I knew that coming in and each
version of not only myth, but also the technologies it depends on,
have continued to get easier to install (not withstanding HDTV stuff
which I haven't tried).  In those two years, I've only had two
overhauls of the system.  Once to move to gentoo and once due to
hardware failure.

Day-to-day, I have no issues.  My system only goes down during
hurricanes, and I love gentoo + myth because portage makes updating
simple.  I'd say overall it's comparable to setting up and maintaining
a stable, secure web server or home linux router - getting running
doesn't take much, getting it perfect is a bit of a commitment - then
you smile at the investment.

-- Travis