[mythtv-users] Multiple Questions from a Myth-Newbie

Hogan Gilligan icnothing841 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 25 16:51:49 UTC 2006

Hello there, been looking at MythTV for awhile now and it seems to be the
option I am going to take for a PVR.  I do have a few questions before
actually getting started with the project.

1.)I see that for watching DVDs, one can either use Xine or Mplayer or use
the new DVD player included with version .19.  My question is, with either
of these options, does the DVD playing software offer a 4:3 aspect ratio
zoom?  The reason I ask, and I know some disagree with me on this, is that I
prefer to watch DVDs in full screen rather than wide screen.

2.)Right now, I use a VCR to record TV shows and have a setup which I would
really like to carry over to MythTV.  Hopefully, I can explain it clearly.
:-D  Here goes.  The connections are like so: Cable --> VCR --> TV.  If I
want to record a show, I set the VCR and it does its thing.  If I wish to
watch TV while its recording, I just press the TV/VCR button on my remote
and I can flip between either the VCR tuner or the TV tuner.  This way, I
can watch one channel on my TV while the VCR is recording another.  So, I
guess, basically, does all TV viewing and recording go through the MythTV
box or can they be independent?

3.)I have seen several places about HD-TV and Broadcast flags which were
suppose to become  effective in the middle of last year.  What happened to
them, how do they affect MythTV, and are they still a “threat” (for lack of
a better word) to MythTV?

Thanks in advance.