[mythtv-users] Multiple Questions from a Myth-Newbie

Steve Dorsey info at dorseygraphics.com
Sat Feb 25 17:46:17 UTC 2006

> 2.)Right now, I use a VCR to record TV shows and have a setup which
> I would really like to carry over to MythTV.  Hopefully, I can
> explain it clearly.  :-D  Here goes.  The connections are like so:
> Cable --> VCR --> TV.  If I want to record a show, I set the VCR
> and it does its thing.  If I wish to watch TV while its recording,
> I just press the TV/VCR button on my remote and I can flip between
> either the VCR tuner or the TV tuner.  This way, I can watch one
> channel on my TV while the VCR is recording another.  So, I guess,
> basically, does all TV viewing and recording go through the MythTV
> box or can they be independent?

If you have a digital cable box that allows you to access specific
channels (channels that are not available by just plugging the cable
from the wall into your TV), then you'll need two cable boxes - one
for recording the TV on the MythTV box, and one to watch live TV on
another channel.

Other than that, you can set it up more or less like you described
with your existing VCR.