[mythtv-users] Multiple Questions from a Myth-Newbie

Brian Bosch bdbosch at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 18:32:58 UTC 2006

On 2/25/06, Steve Dorsey <info at dorseygraphics.com> wrote:

> > 2.)Right now, I use a VCR to record TV shows and have a setup which
> > I would really like to carry over to MythTV.  Hopefully, I can
> > explain it clearly.  :-D  Here goes.  The connections are like so:
> > Cable --> VCR --> TV.  If I want to record a show, I set the VCR
> > and it does its thing.  If I wish to watch TV while its recording,
> > I just press the TV/VCR button on my remote and I can flip between
> > either the VCR tuner or the TV tuner.  This way, I can watch one
> > channel on my TV while the VCR is recording another.  So, I guess,
> > basically, does all TV viewing and recording go through the MythTV
> > box or can they be independent?
>
> If you have a digital cable box that allows you to access specific
> channels (channels that are not available by just plugging the cable
> from the wall into your TV), then you'll need two cable boxes - one
> for recording the TV on the MythTV box, and one to watch live TV on
> another channel.
>
> Other than that, you can set it up more or less like you described
> with your existing VCR.

For what it's worth, here's my setup.  I have my cable going into a
splitter which has 3 outputs.  One output is:
Splitter out --> Cable Box --> Myth, Tuner 1.  Myth controls the cable
box through a serial cable.

The other two outputs go directly to Myth, Tuners 2 and 3.  Most of
the programming that I'm interested in recording are on the lower
cable channels where having a cable box isn't necessary.

This means that I can watch a recorded program and have 3 other
programs recording simultaneously, or I can watch live TV and have two
other programs recording simultaneously; although watching live TV is
a rare event...

The difference between this and your VCR setup is that I never have to
change inputs on the TV itself; there is just one input to it from
Myth.  I choose from within Myth what to watch, either live TV or a
recorded program.

HTH

-- Brian.