[mythtv-users] How To Telnet In (Was: KnoppMyth, too good to be true?)

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Sun Feb 26 09:28:12 UTC 2006

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:58:18 -0800, Justin The Cynical
<cynical at penguinness.org> wrote:

>> So, where's the damn Myth box? I ran nmap from 192.168.0-255.0-255 and
>> came up with five hosts: The firewall, my mail/web server, my NAS, the
>> machine I was running NMAP on, and, I guess, the router!
>>
>> Connecting to the Net has never been a problem. Also, my KnoppMyth start
>> up goes along just fine right until the screen goes black.
>>
> Well, what is handing out IP's?  Check it's logs after booting the
> machine, it should show the IP given out.

I'm using a NetGear firewall as the DHCP server. And looking at it, I see
that it's set to assign 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.50. Nothing for the
Knoppmyth box.

> Also, have you tried switching to one of the local consoles (ALT+F1, F2,
> etc)?

Yeah. No luck. I think it's hosed.

I did a few other tests to learn what I could and the results were
disturbing. All my Knoppix (not Knoppmyth) discs did the same thing,
except that I could Alt+F1 out of them into the command line. Also, the
router reported giving them 192.168.0.7.

This disturbs me because I've run those Knoppix discs on this machine
before. So I have no explanataion for what has changed. Perhaps if I could
interrupt the boot process prior to the Gnome launch.

Just to check I ran through some other installations and dyne:bolic and
Ubuntu worked fine. FC4 installed but, oddly, didn't recognize the network.

I don't really know what I've learned here.<s>