[mythtv-users] upgraded to HDTV, but still recording SDTV. How to smooth pixelation of playback?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 26 20:22:19 UTC 2006

On 02/26/2006 01:16 PM, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> OK, so I bought a 32" LCD HDTV. It's absolutely great!
> I've got it hooked up to my nvidia 5200 via DVI. It's
> just like a computer monitor. Perfectly crisp and clear.
> My BIOS POST even looks great. :)
>
> But my playback looks a bit worse now due to the scaling
> necessary from the recorded resolution (480x480) via PVR 350
> (mpeg-2, 6000 bit rate) to the playback resolution (1360x768).
>
> I'm using bob deinterlacing since this is a progressive display,
> and I've turned off XvMC because the prebuffering pauses seem
> a bit worse at this resolution. I've tried a few filters, like
> quickdnr and denoise3d, but I can't seem to smooth out the
> pixelation of the playback picture.
>
> DVDs look perfect, even though they're SDTV content too, so I'm
> wondering if xine is doing some sort of filtering that MythTV
> can't do? Anyone have any suggestions?

I would say that it has much more to do with the fact that DVD's are
clean source material, often recorded at high bitrate, usually at
720x480, and often progressive.  Therefore, DVD's are just much higher
quality.

Although it's a relatively expensive solution, if you want good picture
quality on your HDTV, you should make the move to HDTV recording...  :)

Mike