[mythtv-users] IOBOUND errors over NFS - fixed

John Andersen jsamyth at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 20:53:59 UTC 2006

On 2/24/06, Rudy Zijlstra <mythtv at edsons.demon.nl> wrote:
> Asher wrote:

> I remain convinced that what the OP did was hiding his true problem. And
> he will likely run into problem again.

This seems highly unlikely to me.  These problems typically get solved
and stay solved.  Clearly he has proven his network can handle this,
and it is unlikely it will suddenly stop handling it unless he
replaces a switch with something less capable.

I've seen this solution work many times.

In my case, more than one 3com card has gone directly to the trash bin
for refusing to properly auto-neg.  Some models garnered an industry
wide reputation for this.

But on several occasions, in servers, the quickest expiedient was
to lock the card to the setting you wanted, and one which you KNEW
your network could handle.

The simple truth, inspite of the grandstanding going on in this
thread, is that auto-neg is iffy in many cases, and can yield dribble
connections.  Anyone who knows the capabilities of the infrastructure
is perfectly justified in locking a nic at a setting they have
demonstrated to work.